CMS Finalizes Medicare Payment Rules for 2016
CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) has finalized rules on how the agency will pay beneficiaries for services provided by physicians and health care professionals in 2016. This reflects CMS’s commitment to value, quality and patient centered care. The payment rules and physician fee schedules are finalized for Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System, End-Stage Renal Disease Prospective Payment System and Home Health Prospective Payment System.
“CMS is pleased to implement the first fee schedule since Congress acted to improve patient access by protecting physician payments from annual cuts. These rules continue to advance value-based purchasing and promote program integrity, making Medicare better for consumers, providers, and taxpayers,” said CMS Acting Administrator Andy Slavitt. “We received a large number of comments supporting our proposal to allow physicians to bill for advanced care planning conversations and we are finalizing this rule accordingly.”
Significant payment rules finalized for the 2016 are:
1. Finalizing the Home Health Value-Based Purchasing model.
This model is designed to enhance health outcomes and value and it is authorized under the Affordable Care Act. This model attaches quality performance to home health payments. All home health agencies certified by Medicare and providing services in Maryland, Massachusetts, Florida, North Carolina, Arizona, Washington, Nebraska, Iowa and Tennessee can participate in this model from January 1, 2016. In comparison to the proposed rule, the upper limit for payment adjust in the first year is decreased from 5% to 3%. The adjustment is a part of the final rule of the Home Health Prospective Payment System.
2. The updated “Two-Midnight” rule.
The updated rules indicate appropriate steps for payment under Medicare Part A when a patient is admitted. This is a part of CMS long term goal that emphasizes the significance of a physician’s medical judgement in fulfilling the requirements of Medicare beneficiaries by giving clear guidance and a detailed collaborative step to educate and enforce all involved. This final update was as a part of the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System.
3. Final Update on End-Stage Renal Disease Quality Incentive Program
The final rule for End-Stage Renal Disease will give payment incentives to facilities that offer dialysis to enhance the quality of dialysis care. In the case of facilities that do not gain a minimum total performance score with regard to quality measures like patient experience, anemia management, infections and safety is likely to receive lesser payment rates.
4. Starting the new Physician Payment System after the formulation of the SGR (Sustainable Growth Rate) and aiding the patient-and-family-centered care.
This rule is the first update for Physician Fee Schedule after the repeal of the Sustainable Growth Rate formula by MACRA (Medicare Access and CHIP Re-authorization Act) of 2015. The rule marks the beginning of the implementation of CMS’s new payment method for practitioners and physicians as required by the legislation for Merit-Based Incentive Payment System.
5. Final rule to empower families and patients with advance care planning.
Standing with the recommendations from bipartisan members of the Congress and a number of stakeholders, CMS has finalized the proposal to support family and patient centered care for seniors and other Medicare beneficiaries by allowing them to discuss and plan advanced care with their respective medical providers.
- Redefining Integrated Care and Behavioral Health EHR systemsApr 23 , 2019
- Judith Van Walsum Joins ZH Healthcare BoardOct 30 , 2018
- CarePortMD Picks blueEHR-HITaaS eHealth Platform to Roll Out Kiosk-Delivered TelemedicineSep 28 , 2018
- blueEHR doubles SaaS revenue, surpasses business expectations in 2017Jan 17 , 2018
- ZH Healthcare announces blueEHR collaboration with Sanford Health to enable global healthcareSep 19 , 2017
- ZH Healthcare Announces blueEHR Mid-Year Growth, Client Expansion, SuccessAug 17 , 2017
- At the Intersection of Health Transformation, ZH Healthcare Exhibits at HIMSS17Feb 10 , 2017
- ZH Healthcare Launches New Unified Brand:‘blueEHR’Jan 06 , 2017
- ZH Healthcare 2015 Letter from the Chairman, Shameem C. HameedFeb 19 , 2016
- blueEHR is now ONC Certified as a 2014 Meaningful Use Complete Ambulatory EHRJan 15 , 2016
- Obama Signs Law Giving Providers MU Hardship ExemptionsDec 31 , 2015
- CMS Finalizes Medicare Payment Rules for 2016Nov 30 , 2015
- CMS final rule makes Stage 2 easier for providersNov 01 , 2015
- RIMS Medical College to use ZH Healthcare’s blueEHR – “Health IT as a Service”Oct 15 , 2015
- Medicare Advantage premiums remain stable; enrollment at all-time highSep 23 , 2015
- Are you ready for ICD-10? blueEHR can help youSep 09 , 2015
- CMS Accepts 12-Month Grace Period for ICD-10Sep 03 , 2015
- AMA Supports Legislative Effort to Revise the Meaningful Use ProgramAug 26 , 2015
- ZH Healthcare Adds Sid Pandit to Advisory BoardAug 08 , 2015
- ZH Healthcare unveils Health IT as a Service (HITaaS)Jul 29 , 2015
- Emdeon clearinghouse is now integrated with blueEHR!Jul 06 , 2015
- OSEHRA Summit 2015: Open source health record allianceJun 11 , 2015
- ZH Healthcare Adds Benval Group Executive to Advisory BoardJan 23 , 2015
- ZH OpenEMR announces lab interface for OpenEMRApr 22 , 2014
- ZH Healthcare announces membership with Virginia Association of Charitable ClinicsApr 22 , 2014
- TECH BIZNOWApr 22 , 2014
- ZH Healthcare offers the next step in OpenEMR patient portal with progressive new featuresApr 22 , 2014
- Introducing patient portal for OpenEMRApr 22 , 2014