Are you ready for ICD-10? blueEHR can help you
On October 1, the entire healthcare industry will adopt the 10th version of the International Classification of Diseases—ICD-10. ICD-10 is moving from 13,000 to 68,000 codes (and this does not include procedures). Clinicians need to understand the depth of clinical information they need to provide in order to justify which is the right code to select.
With nearly 5 times as many codes, ICD-10 is more complex. Trying to manage it without the help of good software and technology will drastically add time and expense to your coding.
Are you ready for ICD-10? blueEHR can help you.
We are committed to helping you meet the requirements of government initiatives, including ICD-10.
As you may know, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have mandated that healthcare organizations begin using ICD-10 diagnosis and procedure code sets for clinical documentation and billing of services. The deadline for healthcare entities to comply with the new code sets is October 1, 2015.
Blue EHR is ready to help you meet ICD-10 demands today. We highly recommend you begin the process as soon as possible to ensure you meet ICD- 10 standards by October 1, 2015.
Blue EHR ICD-10 easy to Access
Blue EHR is free, cloud-based electronic health record makes ICD-10 implementation easier for smaller practices, and can help you avoid productivity and cash flow loss:
- No software to download or install. It will automatically updated ICD 9 to ICD-10.
- No need to adjust your reimbursement practices. Blue EHR software will ensure your ICD-10 transactions are working smoothly well before the switch over.
- Access your files from anywhere. Need to add a code to a chart? Access your files from anywhere you have an internet connection.
How Blue EHR help’s provider with ICD 10?
1. ICD-10 code search interface
Blue EHR has easily navigable interface that allows healthcare professionals to input a word, term, or phrase and receive a list of matching ICD-10 codes. This interface will come with guides that will tell you if the correct ICD-10-CM code has been selected or if further steps need to be taken to find the right ICD-10-CM code.
2. ICD-10 General Equivalency Mappings (GEMs)
Similar to ICD-10 side-by-side coding tools, GEMs will display matching, or equivalent, ICD-10-CM codes when one inputs an ICD-9-CM code. It works in reverse too. When a physician enters an ICD-10-CM code, the GEM will list the matching ICD-9-CM codes and GEM translates medical codes bi-directionally.
ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM aren’t equivalent in every aspect of their coding systems. ICD-9 has some codes that ICD-10 doesn’t have, and ICD-10 has a vast number of codes that ICD-9 doesn’t have. Therefore physicians can rely solely on side-by-side coding and GEMs option which are easy to access in Blue EHR.
3. ICD-10 side-by-side code tool
This EMR functionality is an excellent training tool as physicians practice transition to ICD-10. After a physician or coder enters in a medical keyword or phrase, the ICD-10-CM side-by-side feature will display the relevant ICD-9 codes on the left side and ICD-10 codes on the right side so the healthcare professional can compare both code sets for a particular diagnosis, treatment, and so on.
For example, a physician enters in “Conversion Disorder” as a search term. ICD-9 codes come up for this injury:
300.11 Conversion Disorder
ICD-10 codes come up for the same search term, some of which are:
- F44.4 Conversion Disorder with Motor symptom or deficit
- F44.6 Conversion Disorder with sensory symptom or deficit
Healthcare professionals would facilitate their familiarization and adjustment to ICD-10-CM codes by utilizing this side-by-side coding capability while coding in ICD-9 for now.
4. Auto-Coding Results in Efficiency
General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs), or translation tools could add minutes to each patient visit and produce inaccurate codes that could cost you reimbursements. In Blue EHR, ICD-10 is automated. Just tap, touch, or click and you’re done. It’s that simple.
Both of our electronic health record solutions—Blue EHR—provide true built-in auto-coding that will generate ICD-10 codes based on the doctor’s exam notes.
5. Insurance declares successful ICD-10 Testing in Blue EHR
Yes, both ICD-9 and ICD-10 consist of diagnostic and procedural codes, but ICD-10 is significantly more complex. In fact, there are almost five times as many ICD-10 diagnostic codes (68,000) as there are ICD-9 ones (14,000). Plus, the new codes are alphanumeric and can contain seven characters. (For comparison, the old ones are mostly numeric and have just three to five digits.) In Blue EHR it’s very easy to test the ICD – 10 through any clearing house.
- “Test that your office staff can competently work with the [new codes and] redesigned workflow.
- “Test each redesigned process.
- “Test integration with partners.”
The first two are examples of internal testing; the third is external. They’re both equally important, and all this testing process completely done in Blue.
We have multiple ways for you to find the support you need. Whether you’re looking for tips & tricks from our company, we have an expert team who is here to assist you 24/7. We provide the online support & video tutorials to better assist our client with ICD – 10 questions.
ICD-10 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Will I be able to test ICD-10?
Yes. Blue EHR has options for testing ICD-10.
- Test claims will receive the acknowledgements from insurance & clearing house.
- Testing will not confirm claim payment or produce remittance advice.
- Registration will not be required for acknowledgement testing.
2. What qualifier do I use for ICD-10 diagnosis codes?
In the X12 5010A1 HI01-1 field for the Code List Qualifier Code, you will need to use the code “ABK” to indicate an ICD-10 diagnosis code is being sent. When sending more than one diagnosis code, use the code “ABF” for the Code List Qualifier Code to indicate additional ICD-10 diagnosis codes that are sent.
In the NCPDP D.0 492.WE field for the Diagnosis Code Qualifier, you will need to use the code “02” to indicate an ICD-10 diagnosis code is being sent.
3. Can I send ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes in the same claim?
No, ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes cannot be sent in the same claim. Patients with claims requiring an ICD-9 code and claims requiring an ICD-10 code will need to be sent as separate claims.
- Judith Van Walsum Joins ZH Healthcare BoardOct 30 , 2018
- CarePortMD Picks blueEHR-HITaaS eHealth Platform to Roll Out Kiosk-Delivered TelemedicineSep 28 , 2018
- blueEHR doubles SaaS revenue, surpasses business expectations in 2017Jan 17 , 2018
- ZH Healthcare announces blueEHR collaboration with Sanford Health to enable global healthcareSep 19 , 2017
- ZH Healthcare Announces blueEHR Mid-Year Growth, Client Expansion, SuccessAug 17 , 2017
- At the Intersection of Health Transformation, ZH Healthcare Exhibits at HIMSS17Feb 10 , 2017
- ZH Healthcare Launches New Unified Brand:‘blueEHR’Jan 06 , 2017
- ZH Healthcare 2015 Letter from the Chairman, Shameem C. HameedFeb 19 , 2016
- blueEHR is now ONC Certified as a 2014 Meaningful Use Complete Ambulatory EHRJan 15 , 2016
- Obama Signs Law Giving Providers MU Hardship ExemptionsDec 31 , 2015
- CMS Finalizes Medicare Payment Rules for 2016Nov 30 , 2015
- CMS final rule makes Stage 2 easier for providersNov 01 , 2015
- RIMS Medical College to use ZH Healthcare’s blueEHR – “Health IT as a Service”Oct 15 , 2015
- Medicare Advantage premiums remain stable; enrollment at all-time highSep 23 , 2015
- Are you ready for ICD-10? blueEHR can help youSep 09 , 2015
- CMS Accepts 12-Month Grace Period for ICD-10Sep 03 , 2015
- AMA Supports Legislative Effort to Revise the Meaningful Use ProgramAug 26 , 2015
- ZH Healthcare Adds Sid Pandit to Advisory BoardAug 08 , 2015
- ZH Healthcare unveils Health IT as a Service (HITaaS)Jul 29 , 2015
- Emdeon clearinghouse is now integrated with blueEHR!Jul 06 , 2015
- OSEHRA Summit 2015: Open source health record allianceJun 11 , 2015
- ZH Healthcare Adds Benval Group Executive to Advisory BoardJan 23 , 2015
- ZH OpenEMR announces lab interface for OpenEMRApr 22 , 2014
- ZH Healthcare announces membership with Virginia Association of Charitable ClinicsApr 22 , 2014
- TECH BIZNOWApr 22 , 2014
- ZH Healthcare offers the next step in OpenEMR patient portal with progressive new featuresApr 22 , 2014
- Introducing patient portal for OpenEMRApr 22 , 2014