What’s the deal with MIPS?
- Aug 04 , 2017
Healthcare, like many other industries, is going through a transformation as technology becomes more affordable and big data becomes more useful. As a result, this healthcare IT crossover has led to several relatively new regulations that force providers to work closely with their associated IT teams. Many are struggling with the transition.
If you’re in the healthcare industry, you’re likely familiar with MACRA – or the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 – that combines various incentive programs into one. This compilation is the “Merit Based Incentive Payment System,” which emphasizes better quality of care standards for practices using certified EHR technology.
The good news is, MIPS offers physicians much-needed flexibility by relaxing some of the previous requirements for certification and reporting measures. Policymakers took industry feedback into account when creating the regulation.
The new rule aims to move our healthcare system from a fee-for-service approach to one centered on value-based care and aimed at improving patient health, a recent Healthcare IT News piece mentioned.
MIPS incentivizes providers to use a 2015 certified EHR – but does not mandate it. This, in theory, encourages greater interoperability and patient access to data. Performance measures fall into three main categories – ‘quality’, ‘advancing care information’ and ‘improvement activities’. There is a fourth – ‘cost’ – but CMS will reinstate it in 2018.
Each measure is broken down into various sections, but for this blog, we’ll just run through a summary of each.
The ‘Quality’ performance category within MIPS assesses health process and outcomes through various measures. MIPS-eligible clinicians should demonstrate improved quality above the baseline level or established performance benchmark. The performance benchmark is based on historical or performance-period data (or potentially based on 2017 performance data for quality measures with no historic benchmark).
For this transition year, CMS’ data validation process for the ‘Quality’ performance category will apply to claims and registry submissions to validate whether they fulfill all applicable measures when submitting fewer than six. The validation process also requires that a provider submit the necessary outcome measures or other high priority measures.
Advancing Care Information
The MIPS ‘Advancing Care Information’, or ‘ACI’, performance category replaces the Medicare EHR Incentive Program for eligible professionals, also known as ‘Meaningful Use’. ACI promotes patient engagement and the electronic exchange of information using certified EHR technology.
The ‘Improvement Activities’ (IA) performance category assesses how much providers participate in activities that make clinical practice better. For example, activities related to ongoing care coordination, clinician and patient shared decision making, regular use of patient safety practices and expanding practice access.
We’re 8 months in, but you might be wondering about the reporting period for 2017.
Providers can submit a yearly report or a report that covers any 3 consecutive months. Since the final rule and benchmarks for the measures under various incentive programs arrived mid year, it likely makes sense to report on a 3 month period (perhaps October thru December of this year, as that would allow for additional training and implementation time).
MIPS relies on the synchronization of technology and healthcare. EHR providers are perfectly suited to help providers navigate the changes before the October reporting period.
In fact, we’re here to help! We’re offering training to our customers who need some help navigation MIPS. Shoot us a message and we can get started!
- Why are Multi-Specialty Clinics Becoming so Popular?Oct 11 , 2019
- High Tech Solutions for a Low Tech Population – Healthcare ITSep 23 , 2019
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EHR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014