What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?
- By BlueEHR Admin
- Jun 07 , 2016
Like any practice-wide implementation, a successful electronic health system relies on leadership and coordination. Because an EHR system impacts an entire practice, an effective leadership team should comprise a number of individuals from practice administration to physicians, to nurses or technicians, to billing, and more, depending on the size of the practice.
This leadership team is key for a successful EHR implementation, along with one critical decision-making individual who is capable of leading that team.
Who makes the EHR Decisions?
Determining the configuration of an EHR system is no small task.While effective leadership in EHR design requires confident decision making from a focused individual, EHR decisions should be influenced by other players in the practice and their workflow needs, highlighting the importance of a leadership team as described above. Individual doctors, for example, are a critical source of valuable information for the EHR decision-making process, as their needs and challenges in an electronic system impact the entire practice.
But as demonstrated in hospitals across the U.S. (USE THIS URL: http://www.healthcare-informatics.com/blogs/mark-hagland/what-we-always-knew-ehr-implementation-it-s-about-leadership-and-vision), a single focused decision-making leader is critical to limit disorder and maximize efficacy.
Leadership in EHR Systems
The transition to electronic records in healthcare has witnessed challenges of adoption and usability, many of which are still common today. Whether implementing a new EHR system for a small practice or a large group, common complaints from providers or staff include feeling mandated to use a system that perhaps they do not enjoy using, or that they themselves would have configured differently.
Other common complaints include the concept that EHR operations are not part of a physician’s job, for instance, and that data management tasks should be allocated to specific data specialists or data entry clerks. These sentiments may lead providers to disperse EHR system tasks down to nurses, technicians, and other staff, leading to productivity bottlenecks and increased frustration.
EHR leadership helps to address these and many other challenges. Consolidating decision making to this team can minimize time and costs, and also improve the overall quality of data captured in the electronic records with standardized use.
Ways to Calm the Storm
Fortunately, there are methods of EHR implementation that create fair and realistic expectations for providers and staff in a medical practice.
One of the best ways to prevent issues stemming from frustration is to configure a custom EHR tailored to the specific needs of an individual practice. Customization can improve reception and adoption of a records system, leading to effective use.
Training is critical for a successful EHR system implementation. Some of the many decisions for the EHR leadership team are training providers and staff on the new system, deciding who will provide this training, and assigning individuals as points of contact for questions.
While an EHR leadership team should be equipped to address individual challenges as they arise, it is critical for this team and the leading individual to keep in mind “big picture” goals and management. Patient outcomes, best practices, “meaningful use,” and other practice-wide goals should always be part of the leadership team’s considerations throughout a new system implementation.
Designing a consolidated EHR takes leadership. Keeping the goals, challenges, and needs of the practice as a whole in mind, while also addressing the concerns of individuals throughout the practice’s workflow, requires thoughtful management and guidance.
At ZH Healthcare, we understand the complexity of implementation leadership and its challenges. Contact us (855-936-3367)and speak with one of our experts who will help you start the path towards a successful EHR system implementation.
- Why are Multi-Specialty Clinics Becoming so Popular?Oct 11 , 2019
- High Tech Solutions for a Low Tech Population – Healthcare ITSep 23 , 2019
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EHR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014