Web Based Electronic Health Records Software
- By BlueEHR Admin
- Feb 21 , 2017
Electronic health records (EHR) systems are now one of the most important investments a hospital or independent practice will make. EHRs influence practice management, information security, the organization’s bottom line, and even patient safety. But EHRs can also be difficult to decode, particularly for smaller practices, which is why it’s important to take a look under the hood of web-based Electronic Health Records software and understand how they function and what they offer.
Client-Server vs. Subscription-Based Cloud EHR Software
The most important differentiation between client-server or on-premise systems and SaaS (Software as a Service) EHR services is that on-premise system require in-house implementation, installation, and management of hardware and software, while a cloud-based system is hosted remotely by an EHR vendor.
A web-based EHR system requires no onsite hardware, has much smaller upfront costs, and only requires an internet connection to access patient records. This primary difference both affects and depends on key factors like cost, practice size, and the sophistication of an organization’s IT team, among others.
What Sort of Factors Should You Consider?
Let’s take a look at some important factors to consider when approaching web-based EHR software. SaaS systems in healthcare carry different risks and benefits than many other industries, so it’s critical to understand the different components of Electronic health Records software that will affect your practice.
One important feature of web-based EHR software is that security is typically handled by the vendor. This can be a very good thing, but it also requires that a medical practice thoroughly research vendors.A good way to tell if a web-based EHR system adheres to security requirements dictated by HIPAA and Meaningful Use is if the EHR system qualifies for Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. Such systems, categorized as Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT), adhere to standards set by both the CMS and ONC.
Depending on the needs of a medical practice, as well as an EHR vendor’s available services, a SaaS records system may require integration with other systems to function. For example, if your practice uses an external billing system, it is going to need to interface effectively with your EHR system. Understanding integration (and knowing where any gaps may crop up) is critical to review well before the implementation of any EHR software.
Often, EHR software vendors offer a variety of packages with different levels of support, customization, services, and of course, cost. Practice administrators and providers must consider all of these factors to determine what is right for their organization. Understanding cost also requires a practice to be realistic with its budget; the cost of an EHR system includes not only the software and implementation, but also training of providers and staff, possible decreased patient volume during implementation, costs associated with optimization, and more.
Your EHR System Should Reflect Your Practice
At the end of the day, an electronic health records system is simply a tool to enable medical practices and providers to better serve patients in a way that is secure, efficient, and accurate.
Every medical practice is different, which is why there’s no one-size-fits -all EHR model. Choosing appropriate EHR software for your practice, and taking full advantage of EHR customization, will help your system to reflect your practice – not the other way around.
At ZH Healthcare, we’re proud to offer our effective, customizable web-based EHR systems – blueEHR to your medical practice. Our robust HITaaS (Health IT as a Service) certified EHR technology systems are built to respond to the needs of practices to support you in what you do best. Contact us to learn more about our EHR solutions today!
- Why are Multi-Specialty Clinics Becoming so Popular?Oct 11 , 2019
- High Tech Solutions for a Low Tech Population – Healthcare ITSep 23 , 2019
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EHR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014