Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!
In 2005, RAND Corporation released an influential report on Electronic Medical Records that predicted adoption rates up to 90% and health care savings of $81 billion per year. In a new report released in January 2013, RAND revisited the subject of EMRs and found an overall lack of progress. “We’ve not achieved the productivity and quality benefits that are unquestionably there for the taking,” stated report co-author Dr. Arthur L. Kellermann. Let’s look at some of the factors at the root of the shortfall that have caused practices to rethink their EMR decision.
#1 INTEROPERABILITY HEADACHES
Interoperability is one of the biggest stumbling blocks facing clinics. In a report released in October 2012, the Bipartisan Policy Center found 71% of clinicians surveyed who used EMRs found the inability to share information between different EMR systems and the lack of supporting infrastructure were major barriers.
The costs of setting up and maintaining these interfaces and exchanges was the second most frequently cited major barrier at 69%. The 2013 RAND report found closed system EMR vendors have been slow to improve the interoperability because the inability to communicate enforces brand loyalty and locks facilities into buying their products.
#2 ONE EMR DOESN’T FIT ALL
A Black Book survey released in February 2013 found 17% of clinics surveyed were planning on changing their EMR solution within one year, and another 8% wanted to change but were unable to afford it. Black Book also conducted extensive phone interviews with over 550 practices to find specific complaints and track trends.
Lack of customization to a specific practice or specialty is a major issue with many clinics. With an EMR that fits into an established workflow the adjustment should be minimal and temporary. While the highest number of dissatisfied EMR users were specialist clinics, they also found 54% were small practices. Unfortunately, the report stated many EMR vendors were most concerned about backlogged implementations and selling product. Development issues and customization options at many vendors were ignored after the sale.
#3 SOFTWARE DOESN’T MEET THEIR NEEDS
The Black Book survey found the most important factor in the decision to look for a new EMR was the failure of the existing EMR to meet the needs and fit the workflow of the specific practice. Amazingly, many EMR buyers blame themselves. The survey indicated 79% of the respondents who expressed dissatisfaction with their EMR thought they did not adequately assess their own needs before selecting their provider. This is not a failure of the buyer, it’s the EMR vendor’s responsibility to make sure the product will fit their client’s needs.
#4 VENDOR VIABILITY AND SUPPORT
The phone survey also asked health care providers their top ten criteria for selecting their next EMR vendor. While interoperability and integration concerns ranked high on the list, vendor viability came in first at 84%. Clinics need to be sure their EMR vendor will be there supporting their product for the long haul and fulfill their side of the bargain. Some health care clinics have found this out the hard way, as delayed implementations and dropped products have caused them to lose federal support promised under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
The act provided economic stimulus funds to encourage medical facilities to adopt an EMR solution, but some EMR vendors have oversold or overpromised and not followed through. The New York Times documented separate lawsuits filed against EMR providers Cerner Corporations and Allscripts for accepting payments and not meeting the time frame or criteria for their clients to receive federal aid to pay for the system.
ZH Healthcare provides solutions that address each of the above issues.
ZH OpenEMR reduces the hassles of incompatibility by using health care standards such as HL7 and ANSI X12 EDI for billing to ensure interoperability. The hosted EMR solution from ZH Healthcare is infinitely customizable. The use of the Screenflow Customizer allows practices to implement workflow specific to your practice. The Go-Live process ensures your practice is utilizing the ZH OpenEMR solution within 30 days or less.
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EMR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014