The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHR
“A man in a well tailored suit will always shine brighter than a guy in an off-the-rack suit.”“Michael Kors Quotes” BrainyQuote. A classic saying that can also be used as a metaphor for many different things in life. Like, someone who is unique will stand out more than someone who is just like everyone else. Or, you will be more attractive by simply presenting yourself well, rather than showing up looking frumpy. Or, an EHR that can be customized towards someone’s needs is going to be more useful than one that came right out of the box.
Customization is a common path for modern practices. Research from Medical Economics reveals that in a 2-year survey, over 50 percent of practices were starting to customize generic EHR templates. But was that necessary for all of them? Analyzing both the pros and the cons of customizing an EHR system can help a practice best plan for the future.
To Customize of Not to Customize
One of the first questions to ask before deciding to move towards a customized EHR is about the health or the efficiency of an existing system. Are there currently bottlenecks in your workflow? Would EHR customization better support “meaningful use” and best practices? Do providers and staff have decreased morale and find themselves frustrated on a routine basis with data entry or records management? If any of these sound familiar, it may be time to consider a tailored records system.
Despite the many benefits of customization, there are associated costs which must also be weighed in the decision-making process. Resource consideration is important when deciding if customization is appropriate, for example. Are the resources (both time and financial) available? If customizations are made and no one has the time to learn how to use the system, that will only create more problems. Creating a cost-benefit analysis can help to determine whether or not to adopt a customized EHR system.
Pros of Customization
As we’ve hammered home at this point, designing and implementing a customized EHR system has many incredible benefits. Custom modules lead to better capturing of data and improved accuracy of that data. Such EHR system positively affects not only practice flow, but also health outcomes.
Another important benefit of a customized EHR system is utilization by providers and staff. With a system carefully tailored to fit the needs of the practice (and in-turn its staff), practice-wide adoption can become much easier. It is no coincidence that staff will be eager to use an EHR system that’s more functional and easier to understand.
Cons of Customization
Despite its advantages, practices need to be aware of the cost of implementing a customized EHR system, both in terms of time and financial investment. The cost of implementation can be high, which is a common barrier to EHR customization for practices. This cost comes in the form of financial investment, but also the investment of time.
Adaptation and training take commitment on the part of providers, staff and administrators; customization management requires thoughtful and careful leadership. Other points of consideration include long-term system changes such as updates, as vendor updates down the line may create rifts with interfacing custom systems. Careful communication with a vendor before customization about future changes is key to best prepare for such events.
Understanding the advantages and costs of implementing a custom EHR system is an important step in deciding if customization is right for your practice.
Now that being said, at the end of the day, the suit is an excellent metaphor in this case. Yeah, sure, you can get a generic EHR and over time, you can sort of make it fit and work for you. But like an off-the-rack suit from Nordstrom, it’s always going to feel off and you’re always going to feel self conscious and embarrassed about it. Especially when you see the nice, well fitted, tailored suit that others are wearing. But the funny thing is, that suit, most likely costs less than what you are wearing. All it took, was taking the fabric and finding the right tailor. Your customized EHR system doesn’t need to be expensive. You just need to find the right tailor, who can create the well-fitted system for you.
If you want blueEHR to suit you up, contact us.
|1.||“Michael Kors Quotes” BrainyQuote.|
- Why are Multi-Specialty Clinics Becoming so Popular?Oct 11 , 2019
- High Tech Solutions for a Low Tech Population – Healthcare ITSep 23 , 2019
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EMR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014