New Study shows EMR Adoption Increases Patient Confidence, Loyalty and Satisfaction
- By BlueEHR Admin
- Apr 22 , 2014
Independent research firms Aeffect and 88 Brand Partners conducted a nationwide online survey of 1,000 Americans ages 25-55 in December 2012. The respondents were patients who had some form of health insurance, had seen a physician within the previous three years, and had a regular doctor. The survey consisted of 40 questions on topics related to electronic medical records. The results were published in an August report titled, “EMR Patient Impact Study” and show patients who see doctors who use EMRs are more satisfied and feel more loyalty toward their physician.
Survey Shows EMR Benefits
The survey found 23% of respondents were already using an EMR, and 52% were interested in the technology. Patients who were already using an EMR reported a 78% satisfaction rate with their physician, compared with only 68% who did not use an EMR. 82% of patients felt they receive better quality of care thanks to their EMR. Users also said they felt they received easier access to their health information, and engaged in clearer and more responsive exchange of information with their physician. As a result, patients felt stronger loyalty toward their doctor.
Michael McGuire, Director of Strategy at 88 Brand Partners stated, “The business of health care is dependent upon meeting patients’ expectations. EMR users are telling us that they are more confident in the coordination of care they’re being provided, and think more highly of their doctors, simply because of the information technology in use.”
Types of EMR Users
The study found patients with access to an EMR fell into four categories:
- Disinterested Non-Users (18%): These patients said they did not need access to their health care information outside the doctor’s office, and believed EMR reports were no more accurate than paper charts.
- Interested Non-Users (52%): These patients had the lowest satisfaction scores, but are highly influenced by the physician encouraging them to use the EMR.
- Trial Users (9%). This group has the highest percentage of women and non-white patients. One-third of these patients started using an EMR within the past six months.
- Regular Users (13%): These users prefer emailing their doctor, and 67% say online access was an important factor in choosing a new doctor. One-third of Regular Users are taking care of an adult family member. They use their EMR through the web, or through a mobile device. The most popular usage is setting appointments and making decisions about their family member’s health.
The Cost of Keeping the Status Quo
While EMR adoption among physicians has risen from 26% in 2010 to 38% in 2012, some health care providers are hesitant to adopt the new technology. Practices that do not adopt an EMR will face government penalties in the form of reduced Medicare and Medicaid payouts if they do not adopt a certified EMR by 2015.
Aeffect Vice President Tamara O’Shaughnessy had a warning for health care providers that are dragging their feet. “There is solid evidence that the investment providers continue to make in EMR systems is likely to put adopters at a competitive advantage and yield dividends beyond the expected operational efficiencies-namely it will enhance patient loyalty and satisfaction”.
The Growing Practice
Practices looking to increase patient satisfaction will benefit from the implementation and use of EMR systems. With the anticipated increase of 32 million patients seeking practices that can utilize their EMR for patient communications and involvement will be in a better position to attract new patients that want to be active in their health care conversation.
ZH OpenEMR provides the capability to engage and communicate with patients using the ZH Healthcare Patient Portal. The portal allows patients to request appointments, send questions, renew prescriptions, and make payments on their accounts. Providers can provide answers, request demographic data and updates, and provide medical information for referrals and consultations. These capabilities streamline business processes allowing the practice staff to concentrate on quality care and increase the loyalty and satisfaction patients have for their providers.
- Mental Health: The Need For A Routine During COVID-19Apr 26 , 2021
- Mental Health Care In A PandemicApr 16 , 2021
- Part II: Is Telemedicine Here to Stay?Dec 18 , 2020
- Part I: Is Telemedicine Here to Stay?Nov 30 , 2020
- Covid-19: Ignorance is Not BlissJul 29 , 2020
- Covid-19: Why You Should Be Wearing a MaskJul 13 , 2020
- Part 2: Getting Care During a PandemicJun 15 , 2020
- Part 1: Getting Care During a PandemicJun 04 , 2020
- Data Aggregation and Its Importance: A WHOOP ExperienceMar 09 , 2020
- How WHOOP Could be a Trailblazer in Treating Population HealthFeb 13 , 2020
- How the Internet Changed HealthcareOct 18 , 2019
- Patient Histories: The Key to Quality CareOct 01 , 2019
- 3A’s (Aggregate, Analyze and Act) of Healthcare ITSep 19 , 2019
- Telemedicine – Benefits and ChallengesSep 04 , 2019
- Health Data Exchange StandardsJul 31 , 2019
- Telehealth: Technology meets HealthcareApr 11 , 2019
- Integrated Care: The Future of Behavioral HealthMar 29 , 2019
- Troubles with Getting Mental Health Help and InsuranceMar 15 , 2019
- 7 Things to do to Protect Against Ransomware AttacksAug 08 , 2018
- Oh EHR, how can we love thee?Apr 20 , 2018
- What’s in Store for Practice Fusion UsersJan 31 , 2018
- What is precision medicine? And how can EHR help?Jan 05 , 2018
- What’s the SOAPware alternative?Dec 15 , 2017
- Artificial Intelligence, EHRs and the future of health technologyNov 02 , 2017
- ACA Executive order’s impact on EMR and eHealth technologyOct 25 , 2017
- EHRs and Mental Health: What Needs to Change?Sep 29 , 2017
- American Medical Association (And Others) Unhappy With EHR ProvidersSep 22 , 2017
- A Celebration of Citizenship DaySep 18 , 2017
- Amazon’s Stealthy Foray Into the World of EHRAug 18 , 2017
- Google, the Gender Gap and Personal ResponsibilityAug 10 , 2017
- Neal Patterson and the Mission of Health ITJul 21 , 2017
- The Myth About Motivating People To PerformJul 14 , 2017
- Fragmented health data and personalized medicine: What to do?Jul 07 , 2017
- Apple’s Venture Into the World of EHR SoftwareJun 23 , 2017
- What does the U.K. health record hack mean for eHealth security?Jun 15 , 2017
- Why Doctors need an All-rounder Healthcare Solution?Mar 19 , 2016
- Are we ready for data-driven healthcare?Mar 12 , 2016
- Using Medicare And Private Sector Claims Data for Patient care QualityFeb 26 , 2016
- The Doctor must “Evolve” with the TechnologyFeb 26 , 2016
- The 2015 Practice Profitability IndexFeb 25 , 2016
- ‘Mind Your Risks’ – The NIH health campaignFeb 22 , 2016
- Middle East and Arab Health 2016Feb 03 , 2016
- Medical Billing in 2016Jan 08 , 2016
- CMS publishes 2014 National Health ExpendituresJan 02 , 2016
- Results from the Practice Profitability Index 2015Dec 16 , 2015
- This National Diabetes Month, you have a role in diabetes education and supportNov 26 , 2015
- Safe Texting in HealthCare: Do’s & Dont’sNov 18 , 2015
- Is TeleMedicine the future of healthcare ?Nov 13 , 2015
- Evaluating specific KPIs can improve business performanceNov 09 , 2015
- 50 Years of Medicare: More than 55 million Americans covered by MedicareSep 23 , 2015
- How Much Does Healthcare Cost Matter To A Patient?Sep 18 , 2015
- How does Affordable Care Act Change Your Practice?Sep 11 , 2015
- A ‘Don’t Do’ List to avoid patient no-showsAug 21 , 2015
- Add more patients and grow your medical business in 5 easy stepsAug 05 , 2015
- Medicare Trust Fund is now protected by the Fraud Prevention SystemJul 16 , 2015
- ICD-10: A Short StoryMay 19 , 2015
- Patient portals and patient engagement: Is there a link?Apr 21 , 2015
- Meaningful Use Stage 3: First LookApr 07 , 2015
- 6 Ways Physicians can Free Patient RecordsMar 17 , 2015
- Is the EHR market saturated?Dec 04 , 2014
- 5 Benefits of healthcare information exchanges for small practicesApr 22 , 2014
- New Study shows EMR Adoption Increases Patient Confidence, Loyalty and SatisfactionApr 22 , 2014
- Cloud-Based EMR Vendors and Patient Data SecurityApr 22 , 2014