How to get ready for ICD-10?
Here are answers to questions that may arise after the transition to ICD-10.
What if a provider has a problem due to the transition to ICD-10 after October 1, 2015?
CMS knows that migrating to ICD-10 would be a challenge to medical practices. Therefore CMS is set to implement a communication and collaboration center to monitor the performance of ICD-10. If a provider encounters a problem, this center will immediately identify and provide solution for issues that arise after the transition to ICD-10. In addition to this center, CMS will employ an Ombudsman to receive and triage provider and physician issues. Physician concerns will be addressed by the Ombudsman by working with the representatives in the regional offices of CMS and CMS will issue guidance on how to submit problems to the Ombudsman.
Will a claim be denied if a provider uses the wrong ICD-10 code?
It is the norm that medical practices must use the correct diagnosis code for claims. However Medicare review contractors will not deny claims billed by physicians and practitioners for one year from the implementation of ICD-10, when the bill is as per Part B physician fee schedule, and it is received through automated medical review or complex medical record review based exclusively on the specificity of ICD-10 diagnosis code, if the practitioner / physician has used a valid code from the right family of codes.
Though the above exemption is available for one year, a valid ICD-10 is required for all claims from October 1, 2015. A claim could also be reviewed for reasons other than the specificity of ICD-10 code for reasons mentioned above. This measure will be executed by the Recovery Audit Contractors, Medicare Administrative Contractors, Supplemental Medical Review Contractors and the Zone Program Integrity Contractors.
What would happen if an incorrect ICD-10 code is used for quality reporting? Will Medicare reject an informal review request?
Medicare clinical quality data review contractors will not require Eligible Professionals (EP) or Physicians to report to PQRS (Physicians Quality Reporting System), MU (Meaningful Use 2) or VBM (Value Based Modifier) if the quality reporting is already completed for the program year 2015. In this case physicians and EP are exempted from penalty. This exemption is given while auditing or primary source verification is carried out on the additional specificity of the ICD-10 diagnosis code and the EP or physician has used a code from the right family of codes.
An EP need not incur penalty if it is difficult for CMS to calculate the quality scores for VBM, PQRS or MU due to the transition to ICD-10 codes. Informal review requests for quality will not be denied if the EP has submitted required number / type of measures / domains on the specified percentage / number of patients and if the only error is related to the specificity of the ICD-10 code and the physician or EP has used codes from the right family of codes. In these cases, CMS will monitor the implementation of ICD-10 and adjust the timeframe if required.
What is advanced payment? How can I avail this facility?
When claims are not processed within the time limit by Part B Medicare Contractors due to administrative problems such as implementation problems or contractor system malfunction, there is an option to apply for advance payment. It is a conditional part payment and it has to be repaid. Advance payment is made when the conditions mentioned in CMS regulation at 42 CFR Section 421.214 are met. The Medicare supplier/physician must apply for advance payment by submitting a request to the concerned MAC (Medicare Administrative Contractor). If there is a problem in the Medicare systems that process claims, MAC and CMS will post details about how to apply for advance payments. However, CMS is not authorized to give advance payment when a physician is unable to request a valid claim for medical services given.
- Why are Multi-Specialty Clinics Becoming so Popular?Oct 11 , 2019
- High Tech Solutions for a Low Tech Population – Healthcare ITSep 23 , 2019
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EMR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014