Lessons to be Learned in EMR Implementation
Gathering EMR implementation lesson learned from other practices EMR implementation projects is a way to ensure you are not making the same mistakes.
If your small medical practice has finally committed to an EMR implementation, you must now do your homework to identify the pitfalls of EMR projects and make plans to avoid them. If you’d like a head start with that, read on. You’ll learn a couple of EMR implementation lessons learned from the mistakes of those who have gone before you. That’s always better than learning the hard way, right?
Avoid These Costly EMR Implementation Mistakes
You’ll note that the title of this article refers to EMR implementation lessons learned, as opposed to mistakes. That’s because each of the two following article sections contains three key pieces of information:
1) A mistake that typically proves costly for small practices taking steps toward EMR implementation
2) An example of how practices can fall into the specifically mentioned trap
3) Some guidance to help your practice avoid making the same mistake
Hence, this article is a little bit more than another “Mistakes to Avoid” list.
1. Don’t Fall Foul of Scope Creep
The mistake: Scope creep happens when the line between what’s necessary and what’s nice to have in an EMR becomes blurred. Nothing is more effective than scope creep for generating implementation cost overruns
How it happens: By the time you’ve made the final selection from your shortlist of EMR vendors, your project team will have their heads full of ideas planted by enthusiastic vendor representatives. People find ways to convince the project lead that additional EMR features and functions (that were not on the original list of requirements) are necessities. If the original list of requirements was well-prepared, new inclusions are probably not actually necessary, but simply nice to have.
How to avoid it: Be methodical and objective. Keep a checklist of the original requirements always to hand. Insist that nothing is built, added, or even considered if it’s not on that EMR implementation list.
2. Know the Value of Process Mapping
The mistake: It’s disconcerting just how many small medical practices begin approaching EMR vendors without even preparing a hard list of requirements or mapping existing processes. These are essential steps to ensure a solution is chosen that will support your practice effectively.
How it happens: The omission of a thorough clinical process review typically results from rushing the process of EMR selection. Choosing the right solution from among the many competing EMR vendors is not something to be done in a hurry. When selection is hasty and not based on thoroughly mapped out processes and documented requirements, the results can be anything from disappointing to disastrous.
How to avoid it: Build sufficient time and resource into your EMR implementation plan and budget. The cost of extra hours required to walk through and document the workflows in your practice will potentially save the far greater expense of an inappropriate solution. That’s why process mapping is considered best practice in just about every type of system implementation.
The Next Steps to EMR Success
Now you’re familiar with two major no-no’s of EMR selection and implementation, it’s time to take the next steps … but don’t forget to map those processes and create your list of requirements.
When you’re ready to take a look at EMR vendors, remember this: blueEHR from ZH Healthcare is an EMR solution that works the way you do. So if you like your processes just the way you mapped them, there’s no need to change them to suit a new IT platform.
To discover other unique benefits of blueEHR, contact us today. It costs nothing to assess how well our solutions might fit your small-practice EMR requirements.
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EMR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014