Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR System
During EHR implementation, it can become confusing to successfully navigate federal and locally-mandated requirements for regulations concerning HIPAA and Meaningful Use. For many healthcare practices, Meaningful Use attestation has become less of a collaboration in good patient care, and more of a headache – but it doesn’t have to be.
Decoding Meaningful Use and understanding its requirements will not only improve implementation and optimization of an electronic health records system, but it will also result in improved clinical processes, and ultimately, better patient outcomes.
What is Meaningful Use?
Back in 2009, Meaningful Use was developed by the federal government as a way to regulate electronic health records systems, and ensure that providers are on track to make the most out of those systems. Their incentive programs for Medicare & Medicaid generated incredible interest, and within just a few years, had captured most of the US industry. Last year, the ONC reported that of Critical Access and other eligible hospitals, 95 percent had demonstrated Meaningful Use. Meanwhile, according to CMS, over half a million providers had received over $25 billion in federal payments through the Medicare & Medicaid incentive programs as of this summer.
But this brings up an important question: just who benefits from Meaningful Use? The answer is encouraging. When employed properly, Meaningful Use benefits everybody. Providers and their staff benefit from improved clinical processes, billing and insurance parties benefit from standardization, and patients benefit from better care.
Understanding Meaningful Use Incentive Programs
The role of federal incentives is simply to encourage providers to adhere to Meaningful Use requirements through certified EHR systems. Finding vendors that provide certified EHR technology is critical to qualifying for these incentive programs, which have to-date paid tens of billions to providers who have successfully met the requirements of the incentive programs. Not only are these programs designed to improve health outcomes through compliance with important measures, but also encourage certified EHR adoption through effectively lowering the cost of EHR implementation for healthcare organizations.
The Future of Meaningful Use and EHRs
Each year, CMS and the ONC release new updates for Meaningful Use. Currently, the incentive programs have been widely successful, with over 500,000 medical practices having attested for Meaningful Use as of this year. And moving forward, there is still a great deal of opportunity for benefit to both providers and their patients.
There will still be significant pressure from the federal government to achieve even more universal adherence to Meaningful Use. Many of the most ambitious goals of the program can only be achieved through near-universal participation including those regarding information exchange. For Medicaid, 2016 represents the final year of beginning participation in the incentive program. And while CMS’ final rule published in 2015 extended through to 2017, the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services has already begun constructing their 2017 requirements.
Successfully attesting for Meaningful Use isn’t always easy. That’s why it’s crucial to find an EHR vendor that is ready to support you and your practice every step of the way towards successful implementation.
At ZH Healthcare, our certified technology blueEHR is built to benefit both the provider and the patient with close adherence to Meaningful Use requirements. Not only can we help you achieve improved outcomes through meeting and exceeding federal requirements, but we’ll be there at every step to help you successfully attest for Meaningful Use.
Contact us to learn more today, and discover how we take the guesswork out of regulatory requirements.
- Implementation of an EHR System: What does it look like?Sep 12 , 2019
- Unified Patient Record(UPR): Why You Should Care about ItAug 22 , 2019
- Benefits of an Integrated EHR and Medical Billing SystemAug 01 , 2019
- Federally Qualified Health Centers(FQHCs) and EHR AdoptionJul 08 , 2019
- Integrated Care EHR and the Need for Offline ModeApr 26 , 2019
- G-Code Breakers for FQHCs: Does your EHR qualify?Apr 24 , 2019
- Cloud Based EHR software for Clinical Care in Emerging CountriesSep 18 , 2018
- 3 Major Issues with Immunization Records Management (and How an EHR Can Help)Nov 13 , 2017
- The messaging feature: an ode to cognitive design in EHROct 20 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Software: the Key to Shielding Hospitals from Natural DisastersSep 13 , 2017
- MACRA and EHR: Seamless Integration Improves Care QualitySep 08 , 2017
- EHR Workflow: 4 Qualities You Need to SucceedAug 25 , 2017
- Cloud Based EHR Without Internet: the Offline Capabilities RevolutionAug 23 , 2017
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Aug 14 , 2017
- What’s the deal with MIPS?Aug 04 , 2017
- Decoding Meaningful Use For Your EHR SystemFeb 24 , 2017
- Web Based Electronic Health Records SoftwareFeb 21 , 2017
- What is the Difference Between an EHR and EMR?Feb 16 , 2017
- What is Certified EHR, and Why is it Important?Jan 13 , 2017
- How Can EHR Improve Patient Care?Oct 21 , 2016
- Critical Roles for EMR Training SuccessSep 20 , 2016
- How to Know if Your EMR Training Was a SuccessSep 15 , 2016
- How to Estimate EMR Training CostsSep 08 , 2016
- Why EHR Training is Crucial for SuccessSep 05 , 2016
- Best Practices in EMR TrainingAug 31 , 2016
- Why Does an EHR System Cost So Much?Aug 29 , 2016
- Trends Impacting EHR CostsAug 23 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding the High Cost of EHRJul 11 , 2016
- Understanding EHR Pricing ModelsJul 07 , 2016
- EHR Optimization Benchmarks Your Practice Should Be UsingJul 01 , 2016
- The Positive Impact of Customizing Your EHRJun 20 , 2016
- The Pros and Cons of Customizing Your EHRJun 16 , 2016
- Want EMR Success: Start with Your ProcessesJun 10 , 2016
- What does practice leadership have to do with your EHR?Jun 07 , 2016
- Why EHR Customization MattersJun 01 , 2016
- Your Data Has Value Outside of Your EHRMay 26 , 2016
- Who Owns the Data in Your EHR?May 21 , 2016
- Should You Test Your EHR Data Backup and Restore Process?May 16 , 2016
- Migrating Your EHR DataMay 10 , 2016
- Lessons to be Learned in EMR ImplementationMay 04 , 2016
- How to Avoid the EMR Patient Data Ownership Trap ?Apr 30 , 2016
- Keep Your Staff HIPAA Compliant with these 12 Best PracticesJan 30 , 2016
- A customized Health IT software for InternistsNov 03 , 2015
- Why physicians should implement electronic health records soonOct 20 , 2015
- Access to Medical RecordsOct 08 , 2015
- How to get ready for ICD-10?Sep 30 , 2015
- Save time & money by checking insurance eligibility of patientsAug 25 , 2015
- Gain control of no-shows and protect your bottom lineApr 22 , 2015
- One simple way to improve patient collections by 50%Mar 17 , 2015
- 3 Big HR Mistakes practices make when adopting an EMRJan 23 , 2015
- What is an Electronic Health Solution?Jan 19 , 2015
- What is EHR Interoperability? How Does it Benefit your Practice?Apr 22 , 2014
- How long can you wait for your EMR to be Back On-Line?Apr 22 , 2014
- The IT Benefits of Cloud Based EHRsApr 22 , 2014
- 5 Revenue cycle management Issues that could be Injuring your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- TIPs for Choosing a Customizable EMR to fit your PracticeApr 22 , 2014
- 3 Common Mistakes That Can Scuttle Your EHR ImplementationApr 22 , 2014
- What’s the Difference between EMR and EHR?Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Essential elements improve medical billing CollectionsApr 22 , 2014
- 32 Million Reasons you need an EMR Now!Apr 22 , 2014
- Vendor Selection is only the First Step of EMR Success!Apr 22 , 2014
- The 4 Big EHR Implementation Challenges Small Practices Face!Apr 22 , 2014
- 5 Signs that You need a New Billing Services Provider!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 Reasons Small Medical Practices consider New EMR Solutions!Apr 22 , 2014
- Top 4 features Health Care Providers are looking for in their next EHRApr 22 , 2014
- 7 Things Providers Should Know and Do for Transitioning to ICD-10Apr 22 , 2014
- 3 Criteria for Selecting a Billing Services ProviderApr 22 , 2014
- The ZH Patient Portal gives Patients the Advantage!Apr 22 , 2014
- Why Your Practice Should be Using a Patient PortalApr 22 , 2014