Artificial Intelligence, EHRs and the future of health technology
- By BlueEHR Admin
- Nov 02 , 2017
Artificial intelligence has been the stuff of stories for years – it’s a buzzword that has infiltrated conversations about technology in all industries. Thought leaders have lauded the possible uses of AI in chat bots, virtual assistants, when interpreting lab results, by improving clinical documentation, when treating PTSD in veterans, etc. Artificial intelligence is gaining traction across the board and particularly in healthcare.
Whether it’s IBM Watson Health, Apple’s foray into EHR, or an Amazon Alexa for healthcare… the race to include artificial intelligence in healthcare and eHealth tech has started. These tools are potentially big steps forward for healthcare technology, but there have been more incremental changes as well.
With the integration of artificial intelligence, our standards are rising for the tech we use to manage healthcare. Most EHRs or EMRs now include a number of add-on features that can enhance clinical decisions.
However, data is simply no longer enough.Leonard D’Avolio, CEO and co-founder of Cyft put it well when he said, “we do ourselves a disservice when we refer to [artificial intelligence] as something that we just take a ton of data, push a button and cure cancer.” He thinks that healthcare professionals need “to be more realistic about what these tools can and can’t do.”
Understanding data and what a customer truly needs is the “foundation for transformation,” D’Avolio continues.
Here’s what it comes down to (and what D’Avolio is saying): the discussion around artificial intelligence requires nuance. A doctor or medical professional brings practical experience to the table. Artificial intelligence will never be able to replace the instincts honed by years of experience.
AI is the future of most tech… including health IT. Meanwhile, certain features can automate alerts and alleviate provider workload.
— blueEHR | Health IT (@zhhealthcare) November 2, 2017
EHR and healthcare tech companies must develop ways to incorporate the individual experience and wisdom of doctors into the technology itself. Every provider is different and deserves a tool to capture his or her unique practice.
Take for example, the clinical decisions rules engine within our own blueEHR. The module includes a list of preset clinical reminders within the workflow, but also allows the doctor to input their own rules. These custom rules could trigger based on certain patient filters, automatically reminding the doctor to do certain quality measures based on that specific aspect. Gone are the days of manually tracking the specific quality measure required for each patient demographic. With a little automation, an EHR can do that for you.
Cookie cutter solutions are not the future… particularly not in an industry that is evolving toward more personalized medicine and treatment.
Want to learn more about the clinical decisions rules engine?
- Mental Health: The Need For A Routine During COVID-19Apr 26 , 2021
- Mental Health Care In A PandemicApr 16 , 2021
- Part II: Is Telemedicine Here to Stay?Dec 18 , 2020
- Part I: Is Telemedicine Here to Stay?Nov 30 , 2020
- Covid-19: Ignorance is Not BlissJul 29 , 2020
- Covid-19: Why You Should Be Wearing a MaskJul 13 , 2020
- Part 2: Getting Care During a PandemicJun 15 , 2020
- Part 1: Getting Care During a PandemicJun 04 , 2020
- Data Aggregation and Its Importance: A WHOOP ExperienceMar 09 , 2020
- How WHOOP Could be a Trailblazer in Treating Population HealthFeb 13 , 2020
- How the Internet Changed HealthcareOct 18 , 2019
- Patient Histories: The Key to Quality CareOct 01 , 2019
- 3A’s (Aggregate, Analyze and Act) of Healthcare ITSep 19 , 2019
- Telemedicine – Benefits and ChallengesSep 04 , 2019
- Health Data Exchange StandardsJul 31 , 2019
- Telehealth: Technology meets HealthcareApr 11 , 2019
- Integrated Care: The Future of Behavioral HealthMar 29 , 2019
- Troubles with Getting Mental Health Help and InsuranceMar 15 , 2019
- 7 Things to do to Protect Against Ransomware AttacksAug 08 , 2018
- Oh EHR, how can we love thee?Apr 20 , 2018
- What’s in Store for Practice Fusion UsersJan 31 , 2018
- What is precision medicine? And how can EHR help?Jan 05 , 2018
- What’s the SOAPware alternative?Dec 15 , 2017
- Artificial Intelligence, EHRs and the future of health technologyNov 02 , 2017
- ACA Executive order’s impact on EMR and eHealth technologyOct 25 , 2017
- EHRs and Mental Health: What Needs to Change?Sep 29 , 2017
- American Medical Association (And Others) Unhappy With EHR ProvidersSep 22 , 2017
- A Celebration of Citizenship DaySep 18 , 2017
- Amazon’s Stealthy Foray Into the World of EHRAug 18 , 2017
- Google, the Gender Gap and Personal ResponsibilityAug 10 , 2017
- Neal Patterson and the Mission of Health ITJul 21 , 2017
- The Myth About Motivating People To PerformJul 14 , 2017
- Fragmented health data and personalized medicine: What to do?Jul 07 , 2017
- Apple’s Venture Into the World of EHR SoftwareJun 23 , 2017
- What does the U.K. health record hack mean for eHealth security?Jun 15 , 2017
- Why Doctors need an All-rounder Healthcare Solution?Mar 19 , 2016
- Are we ready for data-driven healthcare?Mar 12 , 2016
- Using Medicare And Private Sector Claims Data for Patient care QualityFeb 26 , 2016
- The Doctor must “Evolve” with the TechnologyFeb 26 , 2016
- The 2015 Practice Profitability IndexFeb 25 , 2016
- ‘Mind Your Risks’ – The NIH health campaignFeb 22 , 2016
- Middle East and Arab Health 2016Feb 03 , 2016
- Medical Billing in 2016Jan 08 , 2016
- CMS publishes 2014 National Health ExpendituresJan 02 , 2016
- Results from the Practice Profitability Index 2015Dec 16 , 2015
- This National Diabetes Month, you have a role in diabetes education and supportNov 26 , 2015
- Safe Texting in HealthCare: Do’s & Dont’sNov 18 , 2015
- Is TeleMedicine the future of healthcare ?Nov 13 , 2015
- Evaluating specific KPIs can improve business performanceNov 09 , 2015
- 50 Years of Medicare: More than 55 million Americans covered by MedicareSep 23 , 2015
- How Much Does Healthcare Cost Matter To A Patient?Sep 18 , 2015
- How does Affordable Care Act Change Your Practice?Sep 11 , 2015
- A ‘Don’t Do’ List to avoid patient no-showsAug 21 , 2015
- Add more patients and grow your medical business in 5 easy stepsAug 05 , 2015
- Medicare Trust Fund is now protected by the Fraud Prevention SystemJul 16 , 2015
- ICD-10: A Short StoryMay 19 , 2015
- Patient portals and patient engagement: Is there a link?Apr 21 , 2015
- Meaningful Use Stage 3: First LookApr 07 , 2015
- 6 Ways Physicians can Free Patient RecordsMar 17 , 2015
- Is the EHR market saturated?Dec 04 , 2014
- 5 Benefits of healthcare information exchanges for small practicesApr 22 , 2014
- New Study shows EMR Adoption Increases Patient Confidence, Loyalty and SatisfactionApr 22 , 2014
- Cloud-Based EMR Vendors and Patient Data SecurityApr 22 , 2014